Restoration is... Green
The restoration of a tile roof or of a slate roof has always been a green roofing practice. Since our
incorporation in 1992, we have been recycling tile and slate roof systems.
Most of the work we do, is green roofing for the following reasons:
- We are able to reuse on average 70% of the pieces of the tile roof or slate roof.
- We recycle metals removed from the original roofing system.
- Very little waste is generated because of the reuse of most of the materials.
- The tile or slate we need to supliment into the existing roof is usually salvaged from another building that would have otherwised ended in the land fill.
- The tile, slate and copper we use can be expected to last as long as 100 years before needing major work again.
- Tile and slate are natural products that are made of clay and stone.
Tile roofs and slate roofs are natural products that do not contain protroleum products. As stated above, these are permanent systems that last a life time. Standard shingle roofing products last only 15-20 years before needing replacement. It is false economy to use a temporary roofing product, much like using a paper plate is false economy versus a china or porcelen dish that with care, we last forever.
Renaissance Roofing also actively engages in salvaging tile and slate from buildings that would otherwise end up in the land fill.
We estimate that we have been involved with the salvage or reuse of over 20,000 tons of tile or slate roofing systems.
View some pictures of buildings that are made entirely of salvaged tile roof or salvaged slate roof.
|We restored this house and carriage house in St. Louis, Missouri using Salvaged Buckingham Slate.|
We restored this Ludowici Red Shingle tile on this house in Riverforest, Illinois.